Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

WE'RE NUMBER 1!!! WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!

Amazing how people enjoy proving me wrong.

For the past several weeks, I've been blabbering to anyone who will listen about how the Cardinals will crash and burn in the playoffs, because that's what St. Louis teams do. Except they didn't and won the World Series for the first time in my life. It's the first big victory for St. Louis since the Rams won however-long-ago, and no one saw that one coming.

Not to be outdone, our criminal element finally saw a year's hard work of armed robbery, carjackings, and the like pay off when St. Louis was named the "Most Dangerous City in America." Take that, Detroit, and that podunk little town in New Jersey that's held the title for the past two years. If only the rest of our dwindling populaton could be so productive... Anyway, this stands as a reminder that although downtown looks somewhat impressive and reasonably clean, there are vast swaths of land to the north where the brave dare not go.

Meanwhile, back in Champaign (sans MLB team and not ranked on the Most Dangerous list), the big event of the weekend was the New Hymnal Workshop. Basically, it appears they've crammed the contents of the old hymnal plus a bunch of smaller books into the new one, except on much thinner paper. 10 settings of the liturgy, all the Psalms, and I haven't bothered to count how many hymns. And it took them all day to explain it to us. It was interesting for a while, but it started getting to be a long day when they got to all the lesser services (Matins, etc.) that we never use at school-church. And as for the color, which is the most important part... it's "New (Nue?) Cranberry." Not to be confused with the new LCMS hymnal, which is either Burgandy, Sherry, or Bordeaux... I forget which. Man, now I need booze. I'll get to meet that one over winter break, I think.

Also, we had our 60th anniversary dealy, complete with prelude, which went over very well. Shows what happens when I try to throw together one arrangement in a weekend, as opposed to five.

And finally, Matlab War V was completed, and it was a pittance compared to Matlab War IV. Or at least I think so. Others seem to be having some trouble, but nothing compared to the other one. Based on that and the recent test results, I think I've finally broken that class. This notion will probably the first casualty in Matlab War VI.

And that's about it... I really want booze now... I don't care that it's a weeknight....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home