Up and Running: How the Heck Did I Catch a Cold Already?
Well, we're having fun now... the first wave of homework is almost done, but it's a lot less distinct than they have been in years past. MSE 280 had remedial chemistry, ECE 205 had remedial circuits, AE 470 is having me do Matlab like never before, and Music 421 is having me do a bunch of reading and actually (shudder) write what I think about it. Yeah, I definitely abandoned my critical reading skills somewhere around sophomore year. And as of today, I have a cold. Good luck figuring out where that came from.
Orchestra has started. I get to sit midway back in the second violin section for this concert. There's been a remarkable amount of turnover since last year... I only know, like, 3 people. The big piece for this concert is the Mendelssohn 5th ("Reformation") Symphony, which gets called that since "A Mighty Fortress" got plastered into the 4th movement somehow. I'm not sure why; it's the only hymn tune present and it isn't all that pervasive, but I'm sure the story will emerge as we go along.
Speaking of church, it appears I get to play this Sunday since our regular organist is recovering from surgery and we haven't been able to line up a substitute yet. This will basically be a repackaging of Organ Service II, only with different liturgy and hymns. I may or may not play pedal parts with the liturgy depending on how practice goes.
Finally, DBF is under way as well. I get to be the chief design engineer this year, which is (thankfully) a step below team lead. Basically, it will be a busy first semester where I oversee most of the actual work, whereas the team lead does higher level management and organization. We hope.
And that's the news from Lake Wobegon.
Orchestra has started. I get to sit midway back in the second violin section for this concert. There's been a remarkable amount of turnover since last year... I only know, like, 3 people. The big piece for this concert is the Mendelssohn 5th ("Reformation") Symphony, which gets called that since "A Mighty Fortress" got plastered into the 4th movement somehow. I'm not sure why; it's the only hymn tune present and it isn't all that pervasive, but I'm sure the story will emerge as we go along.
Speaking of church, it appears I get to play this Sunday since our regular organist is recovering from surgery and we haven't been able to line up a substitute yet. This will basically be a repackaging of Organ Service II, only with different liturgy and hymns. I may or may not play pedal parts with the liturgy depending on how practice goes.
Finally, DBF is under way as well. I get to be the chief design engineer this year, which is (thankfully) a step below team lead. Basically, it will be a busy first semester where I oversee most of the actual work, whereas the team lead does higher level management and organization. We hope.
And that's the news from Lake Wobegon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home