Catch-22
Happy birthday to me.
As another year bites the dust, I have an opportunity to rant about life in general, and well... here goes.
First off, I've gotten a lot of birthday wishes from people I haven't seen in a while, and for that I am grateful. I'm really not as completely forgotten as I claim.
Some people say that you spend your entire life wanting to be 21- those younger want to reach drinking age, and those older want to be younger. The second part of that seems a bit exaggerated... all of 20-something-dom is fine with me. 30 is a major psychological barrier. All in all, it was an eventful year. I was the first junior to pass Music 407, I held my own against two of the worst semesters they can possibly throw at me, I got a foot in the door of a major aerospace corporation and thus laid the foundation for post-college life, I managed to get 200 Lutherans to sing in unison from behind and 1 floor up, and most recently, I cobbled together a service on less than a week's notice. And for all that, I couldn't get a date if my life depended on it. Much has changed, much remains the same. In intellectual matters, adversity is worn down or pushed aside or otherwise overcome always; in love, failure is inevitable. Fortunately, I've been able to minimize the embarassment associated with it, and I'm coming to expect no better. So begins the next year.
Speaking of adversity, it's church music arranging time again, and I got an abysmally late start this time around... once again, the building was locked when I wanted to do work. I should have a key within days. Anyway, there will be a sprint session to start/finish over the next two days. I'm pleased to report some growth in the ensemble, although I'd be advised to wait and see who actually shows up at the rehearsal. And getting music ready for rehearsal will be a major undertaking and may result in loss of sleep. Darnit. I thought I was going to avoid those this semester.
Other work continues. The rhythm of homework completion has more or less been established. Interestingly enough, Music 421 (formerly the easy one) has been the biggest problem, with two reading assignments plus commentary and another written assignment a week. I'm hopelessly behind on the listening and will need a free weekend (no such thing) to catch up. Everything else is going well, pending the actual start of ECE 205 lab this week.
And now if you'll excuse me, in order to remain on schedule, I must cough up good, loud Lutheran settings of five verses worth of "Lift High the Cross" in the next half hour or so.
As another year bites the dust, I have an opportunity to rant about life in general, and well... here goes.
First off, I've gotten a lot of birthday wishes from people I haven't seen in a while, and for that I am grateful. I'm really not as completely forgotten as I claim.
Some people say that you spend your entire life wanting to be 21- those younger want to reach drinking age, and those older want to be younger. The second part of that seems a bit exaggerated... all of 20-something-dom is fine with me. 30 is a major psychological barrier. All in all, it was an eventful year. I was the first junior to pass Music 407, I held my own against two of the worst semesters they can possibly throw at me, I got a foot in the door of a major aerospace corporation and thus laid the foundation for post-college life, I managed to get 200 Lutherans to sing in unison from behind and 1 floor up, and most recently, I cobbled together a service on less than a week's notice. And for all that, I couldn't get a date if my life depended on it. Much has changed, much remains the same. In intellectual matters, adversity is worn down or pushed aside or otherwise overcome always; in love, failure is inevitable. Fortunately, I've been able to minimize the embarassment associated with it, and I'm coming to expect no better. So begins the next year.
Speaking of adversity, it's church music arranging time again, and I got an abysmally late start this time around... once again, the building was locked when I wanted to do work. I should have a key within days. Anyway, there will be a sprint session to start/finish over the next two days. I'm pleased to report some growth in the ensemble, although I'd be advised to wait and see who actually shows up at the rehearsal. And getting music ready for rehearsal will be a major undertaking and may result in loss of sleep. Darnit. I thought I was going to avoid those this semester.
Other work continues. The rhythm of homework completion has more or less been established. Interestingly enough, Music 421 (formerly the easy one) has been the biggest problem, with two reading assignments plus commentary and another written assignment a week. I'm hopelessly behind on the listening and will need a free weekend (no such thing) to catch up. Everything else is going well, pending the actual start of ECE 205 lab this week.
And now if you'll excuse me, in order to remain on schedule, I must cough up good, loud Lutheran settings of five verses worth of "Lift High the Cross" in the next half hour or so.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home