Era of Perpetual Bachelordom, Day 365- One Year (For Real This Time): Life is Not an Art Form
So against all odds we seem to have made it back to July 12. That makes it one year in the apartment and two years at work, at least in the official sense that determines the rate of vacation accrual and things of that nature. Work continues, I'm still single, and I still haven't starved, broken any dishes, or burned the place down. I guess the biggest lessons have been on which corners I can cut and which ones I can't. Cooking, for example, continues, but in a very simplistic form. This I see as being key to the continued not burning of the place down.
At work, we've finally officially run out of parts, and most of the small assemblies I've been working on are done as well. That leaves the big assemblies and any changes that need to be made. I think it will be a nice change. At least it will be different, or maybe not.
The church stuff continues to go well. The wedding was more or less flawless, mainly because most of it was on piano. I could have done with a bit more post-service music, but it doesn't seem like anyone noticed that it cut out before everyone left- it takes them a long time to leave. I guess the real test will be if I get any more requests to play. There shouldn't be too many the rest of this year- the rest of the summer weddings should be more or less set for their musicians, and I'm not sure I want anything to do with the ones that aren't just yet. Anyway... the Bach Little Fugue was also a success that morning, and again this morning when I was guest organ-ing elsewhere. Pastor has requested the Gigue Fugue next, so I've started that. Taking requests seems like it sets a dangerous precedent, but it seems fairly workable, and it's short enough that I may be able to cram it into an offertory, pending resolution of a few registration issues. The fugues are enormously fun once they get going. Suddenly it's like there are four of me, and isn't that just what everyone's always wanted.
There's also the so-called Great Fugue that remains a source of some curiosity, and work on the Mendelssohn Concerto has been sputtering along, some days more than others. To some extent, this marks a return to the highschool-style massive projects, that having been when most of the major independent composition effort and the previous Mendelssohn Concerto took place. The motivation behind it has shifted now that it's been established that the music that will make girls like me does not exist, and efforts to write it have also failed. Now I proceed sheerly for my own amusement, which seems like a better way to go about it.
At work, we've finally officially run out of parts, and most of the small assemblies I've been working on are done as well. That leaves the big assemblies and any changes that need to be made. I think it will be a nice change. At least it will be different, or maybe not.
The church stuff continues to go well. The wedding was more or less flawless, mainly because most of it was on piano. I could have done with a bit more post-service music, but it doesn't seem like anyone noticed that it cut out before everyone left- it takes them a long time to leave. I guess the real test will be if I get any more requests to play. There shouldn't be too many the rest of this year- the rest of the summer weddings should be more or less set for their musicians, and I'm not sure I want anything to do with the ones that aren't just yet. Anyway... the Bach Little Fugue was also a success that morning, and again this morning when I was guest organ-ing elsewhere. Pastor has requested the Gigue Fugue next, so I've started that. Taking requests seems like it sets a dangerous precedent, but it seems fairly workable, and it's short enough that I may be able to cram it into an offertory, pending resolution of a few registration issues. The fugues are enormously fun once they get going. Suddenly it's like there are four of me, and isn't that just what everyone's always wanted.
There's also the so-called Great Fugue that remains a source of some curiosity, and work on the Mendelssohn Concerto has been sputtering along, some days more than others. To some extent, this marks a return to the highschool-style massive projects, that having been when most of the major independent composition effort and the previous Mendelssohn Concerto took place. The motivation behind it has shifted now that it's been established that the music that will make girls like me does not exist, and efforts to write it have also failed. Now I proceed sheerly for my own amusement, which seems like a better way to go about it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home