Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Monday, February 09, 2009

Era of Perpetual Bachelordom, Day 213- The Last Remnants of a Byegone Era

So, yeah, for the past few months, the only thing still tying me to school has been my old email account. And it seems that last week, school finally figured out I don't go there any more, so said email account is being deactivated in two days. So, over the past few days, there's been a flurry of activity warning banks, organizations, and other people I still see regularly that I'm moving, so to speak. I don't remember enough passwords to get email forwarding set up, so this will be a clean break with the past. Fair warning. I'm still facebook-able, though.

This added to what wound up being a really busy weekend. The latest orchestra concert was the same day as the latest Sunday service set, and all the practicing efforts and extra rehearsals sort of globbed together towards the end of last week. Everything went well, particularly the orchestra concert. We were even more or less ready by the dress rehearsal, thus avoiding the last-minute panic we had in December. Church-wise, the bell choir also played, and they were frittering around in the choir loft for half of both services, which was a bit of a distraction. Just once, I'd like to just be able to sit down and play Matins without having to re-learn it. Someday.

Also in church news, Saturday they had a funeral for someone I would probably recognize, but can't put their name with their face. This I know because on the organ rack for the past few days was a copy of the piano-vocal version of Schubert's Ave Maria with instructions to the effect of:
For [name's] funeral, 2/7/09. Do NOT, under any circumstances, play the solo line for the Schubert Opus [I forget the number]. That way, hopefully, people won't be able to associate the melody with the text!
Apparently, that's one of the pieces we're not supposed to play in the LCMS, given the Lutheran tendency to not hail Mary as much as the Catholics do. Must have been a special request.

Anyway... coming up this weekend is yet another Day We Do Not Name. Needless to say there's been no progress since last year, or any previous year for that matter. What makes this year different is I'm no longer technically busy enough to ignore it properly, and I watch more TV and listen to more radio than I did during school, so I hear more commercials for pink frilly stuff and expensive jewelery than I used to. No idea how this is going to work out yet. I may work some overtime Saturday just to spite the greeting card industry. But only if there's actual work to be done. I can sit in front of a computer and do nothing perfectly well from here, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home