Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Era of Perpetual Bachelordom, Day 336- One Year

So, today marks the 1-year anniversary of full time employment. It being a Saturday, I wasn't there for it, but it still counts. Of course, with the internships counted, my "official" service anniversary is July 12 (I'll be 2 this year), which has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but whatever. I have yet to hear from this year's interns. It would be nice to know at least how many there are, considering how bad the economy sucks. Work itself remains good- the project continues to progress, so what I'm doing has shifted as I've gone along, just enough so I don't get bored with it.

It's been noted several times that if I only did two things all year, they'd wind up being on the same day, and such is the case at the end of this month, when Organ Service 11 (Matins again, I assume) is on the same day as my first wedding. (Note that my prospects of actually getting married are as bleak as ever, so the best I can do is take ownership of weddings I play at.) It's looking like pretty much the ideal first wedding- home church, home congregation, I know the couple, and the overwhelming majority of the music will be on piano. The organ portion consists of two hymns, the recessional, and a trumpet voluntary I've already played for postlude. There's also a violin soloist I'll be accompanying whom I haven't met yet, but I'm reasonably sure she has her act together. I really don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

With this begins my formal wedding-playing career, during which I'll be keeping track of a number of metrics of varying degrees of entertainment value: number of weddings I play at vs. number I'm invited to (I've more or less given up on being in the wedding party at this point), couples that are older than me vs. couples that are younger, number of times I play the Pachelbel Canon, number of different arrangements and instrumentations of the Pachelbel Canon that I play, additional variations to the Pachelbel Canon I make up on the spot due to unforseen delays in the service. The list goes on and on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home