Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Brave New World: Some Assembly Required

So, yeah, I moved. I'm about 5 days into independent life now and I haven't starved, blown myself up, or broken any dishes, so I must be doing something right. Cooking has been a bit of an adventure, primarily because most main courses we ate back at old-home were set up for a family of four, and don't subdivide conveniently to just me. Case in point, pork chops don't come in packs of fewer than three, and only two of those fit in my frying pan at a time. A needlessly complicated system of workarounds and leftover management will be developed as I go along. And as a last resort, Dierbergs makes a decent fried chicken dinner, although the side orders leave a bit to be desired.

There are a few notable holes in the furniture, and construction is now underway to fill those. My new desk is half-done in pieces on the floor, and the new kitchen table and TV stand have yet to be purchased. Apparently these things come in "no tools required" now. Weak.

Church service this Saturday. I've been practicing here and so far there are no complaints, which means either everyone's good with it, they can't hear me, they aren't home, or people just don't complain about things. Impossible to tell. The acoustics in the apartment are better than what I had previously. On a somewhat related note, I've more or less organized the St. Louis organ-only version of the senior recital for three weeks from now, so I can worry about that as well.

Thus begins the Era of Perpetual Bachelordom, the end of which can't be determined in advance. Unlike college, things aren't broken into convenient units like test cycles or semesters and so forth. As far as I can tell, it just keeps going. I guess there will be job shifts and promotions and such, and that's how I'll measure time now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home