Turn Brain Off
Spring has sprung. To some extent, at least. As of this evening, spring has most definitely un-sprung, but that's another matter. But so far this week, it's been warm and sunny, there are leaves starting on the trees, most if not all of the snow has melted (a whole month later), and girls are wearing less clothing. Throw on the early switch to Daylight Savings Time (I'll have to have a frank discussion with my member of Congress about that one) and the net result is my annual unwillingness to do anything whatsoever.
Fortunately, there's not much left to do before break. There's a test in acoustics tomorrow that I'm not terribly worried about, another organ lesson, and I have to continue to feign progress for comp, but that's really about it. There had been another large scale assignment that I though was due yesterday but is really due tomorrow, but, well, I finished it yesterday. I missed lunch and everything. Geez.
It seems like I'm budgeting roughly an hour too little for just about everything this semester. Case in point- AE 419 over the weekend. That class is really starting to annoy me. I was hammering through the problems Sunday night and couldn't for the life of me find the given dimensions and so forth for the plane in the last one. So, I muttered for a while and went to bed. Next morning I noticed that the necessary information was on the facing page, begging the question of how I get anything done anymore. And of course, there are no examples in the book and no examples done in class, so it's really a matter of trial and error. With unit conversion.
DBF has now fully transitioned to production. The hunk of wood down in the shop is really starting to look like a plane, although a few big pieces are still missing. I'm starting to realize that building really isn't my thing. I think it has something to do with there not being an "undo" button. Mainly I wind up standing around looking for tools or sanding stuff.
Finally, it appears that there may be some thawing in the girlfriend situation. This is the sort of thing that evaporates the moment I think too loudly about it, and true to form, she's too busy for the orchestra concert tomorrow. Now I'm back to the perennial exercise of figuring out whether "too busy" actually means too busy (it might this time around) or she's not interested. There are ways of finding out, but that will be delayed until after the break. For now, I'm actually better off than I was at the beginning of the semester for a change.
And with that I return to St. Louis for a week. It should be a newsless week of minor projects and catching up on sleep. Which will really be nice. Sleep's been hard to come by.
Fortunately, there's not much left to do before break. There's a test in acoustics tomorrow that I'm not terribly worried about, another organ lesson, and I have to continue to feign progress for comp, but that's really about it. There had been another large scale assignment that I though was due yesterday but is really due tomorrow, but, well, I finished it yesterday. I missed lunch and everything. Geez.
It seems like I'm budgeting roughly an hour too little for just about everything this semester. Case in point- AE 419 over the weekend. That class is really starting to annoy me. I was hammering through the problems Sunday night and couldn't for the life of me find the given dimensions and so forth for the plane in the last one. So, I muttered for a while and went to bed. Next morning I noticed that the necessary information was on the facing page, begging the question of how I get anything done anymore. And of course, there are no examples in the book and no examples done in class, so it's really a matter of trial and error. With unit conversion.
DBF has now fully transitioned to production. The hunk of wood down in the shop is really starting to look like a plane, although a few big pieces are still missing. I'm starting to realize that building really isn't my thing. I think it has something to do with there not being an "undo" button. Mainly I wind up standing around looking for tools or sanding stuff.
Finally, it appears that there may be some thawing in the girlfriend situation. This is the sort of thing that evaporates the moment I think too loudly about it, and true to form, she's too busy for the orchestra concert tomorrow. Now I'm back to the perennial exercise of figuring out whether "too busy" actually means too busy (it might this time around) or she's not interested. There are ways of finding out, but that will be delayed until after the break. For now, I'm actually better off than I was at the beginning of the semester for a change.
And with that I return to St. Louis for a week. It should be a newsless week of minor projects and catching up on sleep. Which will really be nice. Sleep's been hard to come by.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home