The End of an Era: "Four Scores and Seven Yards Ago..."
For those not in the immediate Champaign-Urbana area, the Powers That Be have finally decided to do away with our mascot, Chief Illiniwek. So the Forces of Political Correctness have finally gotten their way. To an extent, anyway. The compromise was that the team name "Fighting Illini" would be retained, and the FOPC are not happy about that. I suppose they'll finally be happy when we're called "State Number 26 Higher Level Education Facility 4973-02 Sport Unit" or something like that. Of course, the pro-Chief camp is quite distraught, but there hasn't been any rioting, unfortunately. I really don't have a strong opinion either way- I have better things to do. However, it should be noted that there needs to be a distinction made between threatening (needs to be dealt with) and offensive (get over it). Also, the FOPC should quit whining and get back to work, since they're robbing everything in general of efficiency. Oh, wait... they're liberal arts majors... they don't have work to get back to. There's our problem.
Anyway, suggestions for a new mascot are already beginning to surface. The front runner appears to be some combination of (Commander in) Chief Abraham "Drinkin'" Lincoln. The emblem is suspiciously similar to what we had with Illiniwek, only he has a stovepipe hat instead of feathers, and he has a beard. The actual mascot would wear orange, do a similar dance, and he'd shoot 30-foot flames out of his hat. And he'd drink. Well, maybe not drink, but I think the capacity to shoot fire is key for any future mascot.
As for actual work, I'm now halfway through the first test cycle. So far all appears to be well. The CAD work for DBF is nearing completion, again. I'd be finishing up now, but the EWS network is down, so all progress has ceased for the day. And most of the snow melted. What's left is a few dirty piles, so let's melt them down and start over.
Anyway, suggestions for a new mascot are already beginning to surface. The front runner appears to be some combination of (Commander in) Chief Abraham "Drinkin'" Lincoln. The emblem is suspiciously similar to what we had with Illiniwek, only he has a stovepipe hat instead of feathers, and he has a beard. The actual mascot would wear orange, do a similar dance, and he'd shoot 30-foot flames out of his hat. And he'd drink. Well, maybe not drink, but I think the capacity to shoot fire is key for any future mascot.
As for actual work, I'm now halfway through the first test cycle. So far all appears to be well. The CAD work for DBF is nearing completion, again. I'd be finishing up now, but the EWS network is down, so all progress has ceased for the day. And most of the snow melted. What's left is a few dirty piles, so let's melt them down and start over.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home