Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Monday, February 26, 2007

KABOOM!

So, yeah, given the semester's workload, things were guaranteed to blow up eventually. And that just happened to be this past weekend. Remarkably, everything is still getting finished on schedule, although it's a pretty last ditch schedule in some cases.

Item number 1: The DBF drawing package. Gets submitted along with the report. The plane model was finished late last week without incident, but apparently something in the latest upgrade of Inventor made a bunch of the annotation features for the presentation drawings not work. So, it took a good 5 hours or so all told to develop workarounds for that. But it's finished as of five minutes ago, so hopefully that's the last I'll be hearing from it.

Item number 2: The DBF design report. This is a 60-page monstrosity that has to be in to Cessna next Tuesday. The actual writing gets split several ways, but I get to integrate and assemble the thing on account of the team lead is bogged down with senior design. So that means lots of reformatting of spreadsheets and general unpleasantness. Most of the writing is done, but there are still values on tables that need to be filled in. Some involve calculations we should have done months ago but haven't done yet. Riiiight. Overall, I think there's been less fakery than in previous years.

Item number 3: Matlab War VIII. This was a problem similar to the last assignment of last year. Except it was a bit harder, and there was some really messy integration. Fun fact: if you give me long enough polynomials and have me raise binomials to high enough powers and then have me integrate it, I'm more or less guaranteed to screw up in a whole bunch of different places. Funner fact: Based on inspection of solutions posted online, there was a clever little substitution that I could implement to avoid all the unpleasantness. I figured this out after cranking out the long version and having the code not work for a combined 5 hours or so. But it's done now.

Item number 4: The next batch of contemporary service music. New hymnals means new liturgy settings, so there's more arranging to do than usual. I got a decent whack at in during break this morning. More than I was hoping for, in fact. But there's still a long way to go.

So the spinning of wheels will continue, nonstop until Friday. Then most of this should be blown over. And it's Unofficial, so I can drink myself stupid for a while and forget this ever happened. Then back to it Saturday morning, presumably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home