Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Saturday, January 06, 2007

... And Never Brought To Mind: New Orleans, Part III

So, between not rebuilding the city and the steady stream of conference-related activities, there was time for a bit of a social life. The broader Christian community seems to be fairly open-minded and outgoing, which was good, seeing as what little social skills I have have been eroding through years of contact with noone but engineers. Booze was easy to come by, but quite expensive, so there was only one night on the town, plus a bit more on New Year's Eve. I also ran into the aforementioned senior prom date, and her fiancé. The exchange can best be described as surprisingly not awkward, probably since we both knew we would be there.

I also went to the New Year's Eve dance, which is completely and utterly unheard of. A few key factors for my being there- the influence of Mr. Jack Daniels, and a knowledge that we would all be leaving the next day and any mishaps would be quickly forgotten. And it went pretty well, as far as I could tell. There's an important difference between drunken thinking-one-can-dance and drunken knowing-one-can't-but-not-caring. So, yeah, whatever. And it definitely beats the heck out of whatever I would have done in St. Louis, which based on last year, would have been abso-squat-ly nothing.

So, with the new year, there's a slightly new outlook on life. In situations where success is impossible, any course of action can be undertaken without affecting the outcome. However (and this is where it changes), I am encouraged to do something (as opposed to sitting here wallowing in self pity) due to the remote possibility of success by sheer dumb luck. That said, I'll continue to sit here and wallow until school starts up again. Then, there will be work to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home