Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Saturday Evening Service XXI: The Lights Stayed On Somehow

Well, after an unsually balmy December, winter crashed back into town over the weekend. We got some freezing rain last night- enough to put a nice glaze on everything, but the roads were good. And we kept power for a change. Apparently there are around 100,000 around St. Louis that didn't. And of course, I got to play this evening, right in the middle of it. We're in the process of transitioning to the new hymnal. We did more or less the same non-communion Evening Prayer service as usual, only assembled from hymns instead of out of the supplement. Same stuff, but everything got transposed down a half step during the revision. I wonder if the collective vocal register of mankind is slowly dropping over the years. Sounds like something for some liberal arts major to look into. Anyway, "Come Ye Thankful People, Come" is apparently also an Epiphany hymn, so I got to reuse the ever popular postlude on it that we play at school. I had to crank out a piano reduction first, but that wasn't hard. There's really remarkably little else going on.

Anyway, they're saying more ice tonight, which means tomorrow's trip back to school will be fraught with peril. I'm now working under the assumption that an entire semester is defined by its first day (last semester, the TV broke during unpacking, and look how that went). So, we'll see how it goes. More tomorrow from the flip side. I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home