Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Yay, St. Louis.

So, yeah, it's all over. And I'm back. Actually I've been back since Saturday, but not much has happened.

The last two finals were as follows: Music history wasn't too bad- more writing which may or may not have gone well. Then was ECE... good grief. Everything seemed fine except for the last question on op-amps, on which I insist there were too many variables to solve the problem. At the bars afterwards, we tracked down a few grad students who supposedly know the stuff, and they said that it was probably possible to solve using knowledge of ratios that by definition accompany the op-amps in the problem, but they weren't on the equation sheet and as a general rule, I don't bother to memorize that sort of thing. Anyway, results for that one are up, and I got a 67.5% or so, which means I missed more than that one question alone. Basically, this confirms what I've known for a long time- if you give me enough simultaneous equations with enough decimal places and enough negatives and imaginary numbers (thank you, phasors- you aren't nearly as cool as the movies make you sound), I will make arithmetic errors. I'm still half a standard deviation above the class average, so we'll just see how that works out once the curve kicks in.

Anyway, this brings me back here (after some minor inconvenience with the bike rack), and St. Louis is pretty much St. Louis. There was one church-playing event (violin) last weekend, there's another one (piano) on Saturday and three more (good question) on Sunday. So we'll see how that goes.

The car's back in the shop. It went in for its two-year inspection this morning. Apparently there's some gasket or another in the exhaust system that's broken and leaking, although it already passed the clean air part of the inspection a while ago. It's very obscure, which means it's very expensive, and fixing it takes forever, and counting. The car and I have a very wary agreement to disagree right now. At least it didn't break down in the middle of nowhere. Maybe it's saving that excitement for the trip back.

Ah, Christmas presents... I don't want much, as usual, and I've already got half of one of my presents- the accompaniment edition of the new LCMS hymnal. The liturgy half isn't ready yet, and I need the hymn half on Saturday. So it's all unwrapped and everything. Like most years, most of what I want can't be gift-wrapped. Although a maintainence-free car that doesn't have pieces falling off would be nice.

Back to the arranging project I've been stalling on for the past two days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home