Saturday Evening Service XX and Other Random Happenings
Whew.
So I successfully navigated another Christmas- this one was quite active. Start with Christmas Eve-eve, still Advent IV, where there were seven verses of "Oh Come, Emmanuel" to deal with. This went quite well as the version in the new hymnal is different from the old one, so I brought both along and alternated. Admittedly, I'm a bit rusty, though... I had forgotten that there was an offertory canticle that needed to be played right after the collection. This resulted in the largest page turn ever, from Hymn 358 to Hymn 954. I figure I owe the inventor of the paper clip a drink or two by now.
Christmas Eve proper was a violin day- two services (not three as anticipated, since the afternoon one was fraught with small children, and it was the opinion of everyone that I probably woudn't be heard). Again, everything went well. I'm increasingly a fan of the candlelight service. Immanuel has a vocalist who is quite good. She can hit the high note at the end of "O, Holy Night" (a Bb near the top of the soprano register) accurately. And after all that I was pretty well and thoroughly tired. Christmas was for visiting relatives. My cousins are having children now... I'm starting to feel old.
Grades are up, confirming my complete and utter dominiation of last semester. The unplesantness during the ECE final wound up not mattering. Details about next semester to follow.
And so I set out to New Orleans once again on another church trip to see if any progress has been made. I'll be traveling by train- first to Chicago (5 hours in the wrong direction) to meet up with the rest of the group, then on to New Orleans for another 15 hours. It sounds like we'll be in our hotel most of the time... no roofing or anything involving prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. We'll see how it goes.
So I successfully navigated another Christmas- this one was quite active. Start with Christmas Eve-eve, still Advent IV, where there were seven verses of "Oh Come, Emmanuel" to deal with. This went quite well as the version in the new hymnal is different from the old one, so I brought both along and alternated. Admittedly, I'm a bit rusty, though... I had forgotten that there was an offertory canticle that needed to be played right after the collection. This resulted in the largest page turn ever, from Hymn 358 to Hymn 954. I figure I owe the inventor of the paper clip a drink or two by now.
Christmas Eve proper was a violin day- two services (not three as anticipated, since the afternoon one was fraught with small children, and it was the opinion of everyone that I probably woudn't be heard). Again, everything went well. I'm increasingly a fan of the candlelight service. Immanuel has a vocalist who is quite good. She can hit the high note at the end of "O, Holy Night" (a Bb near the top of the soprano register) accurately. And after all that I was pretty well and thoroughly tired. Christmas was for visiting relatives. My cousins are having children now... I'm starting to feel old.
Grades are up, confirming my complete and utter dominiation of last semester. The unplesantness during the ECE final wound up not mattering. Details about next semester to follow.
And so I set out to New Orleans once again on another church trip to see if any progress has been made. I'll be traveling by train- first to Chicago (5 hours in the wrong direction) to meet up with the rest of the group, then on to New Orleans for another 15 hours. It sounds like we'll be in our hotel most of the time... no roofing or anything involving prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home