Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Friday, February 17, 2006

Recruiting Events: Look, Mommy! College Students!

And now the dark side of my dorm: It's the one closest to the visitor center. Which means all the tour groups come here to see what a dorm looks like. Normally, this will take the form of massive groups showing up (but not eating) during lunch. And there's nothing like having a bunch of high-school seniors watch you eat. I've suggested passive-aggressive ways of dealing with this sort of thing (Okay, when they come, let's all slam our forks down and stare at them, or point and laugh, or just fall completely silent), but these would all require broader organization, which I just don't have the people skills for.

Anyway, this morning was something new. At breakfast, 2/3 of the cafeteria was reserved for some breakfast session of some group or another of Illinois' best and brightest. I was never recruited by said group, being that I was Missouri's best and brightest, and they don't really care about me. This is evident in the fact that I have to pay twice as much to go here. Or my parents do. Anyway, their part had tablecloths and place settings and flowers (plastic, I hope, otherwise it's time to riot). Our 1/3 had the usual napkin holders. And there was a partition set up in the middle, although we could still see across the area where there are stairs down to the lower level. I guess they're right to wall us off. After all, college students are surly and unkempt, especially before noon, and we wouldn't want the high school students to get the wrong impression, now would we?

Which brings up an interesting point.... life was so neat and tidy and image-conscious back in high school. What with the designer clothes and general snobbery and so forth. Now, showing up to meals (not just breakfast) in pajamas is not uncommon, and is even applauded as part of being a college student. Homework is a mess, and the ends justify the means on finishing it. Maybe there's still an image-conscious part of college somewhere, but I can only exists among the do-nothing fake majors that I no longer interact with. Then again, I'm just as single now as I was in high school, so there's obviously still more than enough superficial-ness to go around.

My, but I'm rambling. Probably because I actually have an afternoon off. This week's work is done, I'm as far as I can get on the DBF CAD with the information I have (If anyone from DBF reads this, GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION!!!), and there's no church music to write this weekend. So, somewhat less stressful than usual. Which I really need. Last week's lab report was definitely a killer, but this next one is much easier. We're already almost done.

And that's the news from Lake Woebegone, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average. Or at least that's what we tell the tour groups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home