Lacrimosa: Just Another Day, Dammit
This is a bit off topic, but I'd like to take this opportunity to point out the general awesomeness of the Mozart Requiem. Generally, as a pianist, when I think of Mozart, I think of any of the 19 or so sonatas played way too fast by an 8 year old. I think we got the short end of it. But I'm definitely a fan of the Requiem. Some of the harmonic progressions therein are significantly ahead of their time, among other things.
Anyway, what you see up top is probably the least confrontational of several possible titles for this post. Which begs the question of why I went with it... I must be going soft. This is the day when well-established couples enjoy each other's company at the expense of their individual responsibilities. This is the day when somewhat-less-well-established couples fail to meet each other's expectations (length of date, price of date, thoughtfulness (read, price) of gift, lack of sex, etc.) and wind up fighting over it for months. There is a noticable contingent of single people who are sufficiently aloof that this day has no effect on them at all, and they are the ones I envy. As for me, the title articulates my official position on the matter: just another day. So there.
I'm old enough this year that I could concievably wander to some bar and drown my sorrows, but I'm really too busy. I saw this coming, and I scheduled the heck out of this evening. Granted, there will still be some wallowing in self-pity, but I consider this an improvement over years past. So, how busy am I? See yesterday:
8:00- Wake up. Breakfast in the cafeteria. Make sandwich and smuggle it out in tupperware container.
9:00- Class, followed by 1 hour break in which we meet in the library to check over the weekend's homework.
11:00- Class.
11:50- 10 minute break between classes in which I scarf down aforementioned sandwich while walking between buildings.
12:00- Class, followed by more class.
2:00- Meet in library with lab group to work on report due Wednesday. Confusion ensues, but all is eventually figured out.
4:30- Return to dorm for first time in 7 1/2 hours. Quick pit stop.
5:00- DBF meeting. Get dimensions for tail of aircraft, work on report, due next week.
6:00- Quick dinner, followed immediately by more report writing.
7:00- CAD work in Engineering Hall. Remember when I said that a few things needed revision and I'd have to adjust some other stuff? Well, what I meant was that the revision process would blow the whole thing completely to hell, and I'd have to rebuild the fuselage and assembly completely from scratch. I did, however, manage to get everything put back together to the point where I was last Thursday.
10:30- On to Smith Hall, to practice organ for lesson this afternoon. Upon arriving, realize I don't have music with me. Spend half hour confirming that piece I'm supposed to memorize is, in fact, memorized.
11:00- Home at last. Conan isn't on due to Olympics. Drat.
That sort of sequence is pretty typical these days.
Anyway, what you see up top is probably the least confrontational of several possible titles for this post. Which begs the question of why I went with it... I must be going soft. This is the day when well-established couples enjoy each other's company at the expense of their individual responsibilities. This is the day when somewhat-less-well-established couples fail to meet each other's expectations (length of date, price of date, thoughtfulness (read, price) of gift, lack of sex, etc.) and wind up fighting over it for months. There is a noticable contingent of single people who are sufficiently aloof that this day has no effect on them at all, and they are the ones I envy. As for me, the title articulates my official position on the matter: just another day. So there.
I'm old enough this year that I could concievably wander to some bar and drown my sorrows, but I'm really too busy. I saw this coming, and I scheduled the heck out of this evening. Granted, there will still be some wallowing in self-pity, but I consider this an improvement over years past. So, how busy am I? See yesterday:
8:00- Wake up. Breakfast in the cafeteria. Make sandwich and smuggle it out in tupperware container.
9:00- Class, followed by 1 hour break in which we meet in the library to check over the weekend's homework.
11:00- Class.
11:50- 10 minute break between classes in which I scarf down aforementioned sandwich while walking between buildings.
12:00- Class, followed by more class.
2:00- Meet in library with lab group to work on report due Wednesday. Confusion ensues, but all is eventually figured out.
4:30- Return to dorm for first time in 7 1/2 hours. Quick pit stop.
5:00- DBF meeting. Get dimensions for tail of aircraft, work on report, due next week.
6:00- Quick dinner, followed immediately by more report writing.
7:00- CAD work in Engineering Hall. Remember when I said that a few things needed revision and I'd have to adjust some other stuff? Well, what I meant was that the revision process would blow the whole thing completely to hell, and I'd have to rebuild the fuselage and assembly completely from scratch. I did, however, manage to get everything put back together to the point where I was last Thursday.
10:30- On to Smith Hall, to practice organ for lesson this afternoon. Upon arriving, realize I don't have music with me. Spend half hour confirming that piece I'm supposed to memorize is, in fact, memorized.
11:00- Home at last. Conan isn't on due to Olympics. Drat.
That sort of sequence is pretty typical these days.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home