O:FS, Day 7- Friday- Trouble, With a Capital T That Rhymes with C That Stands for Compiler
So, first off at 9:00 on a Friday is lab for CS 225 for two hours, then is discussion section for Hist 106, then lecture for CS 225, and I'm done by 1, pending any lessons. The two CS classes are at the north end of campus, and the discussion section is down south, necessitating two more mad dashes.
Now, here's where the trouble starts. The MPs in lab are done in Linux lab, the Almighty Preventer of Progress. And furthermore, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the compiler to run. Part of this is Linux-related. Of course, the instructions are horribly written, scattered in a bunch of different places, and hard to find. Even the little in-class demo MP contradicted itself on multiple occasions. Fortunately, I know a few people who have taken the class and they can help me figure it out, assuming nothing has changed over the past few years. After that, I should be on my way. The demo exercise was something I could have done in 10 minutes using Matlab on a Windows system, but whatever.
History discussion was nothing special- basically we "got to know each other" and read through the syllabus out loud as a class. Right. I'm assuming this will pick up eventually. And the "big" assignments of the semester are papers in the 900-1200 word range. Just for reference, this entry is 320 words.
Senior design appears to be breaking my way so far. This semester we have organized weekly tasks to complete, and lo and behold, I finished most of what's due next week last semester. Some touch-up work will be required, but I'm not anticipating any trouble there. Incidentally, I'll also be needing to learn a new CAD program at some point.
So, having survived a week, everything looks very feasible, assuming I can get this blasted Linux thing figured out.
Now, here's where the trouble starts. The MPs in lab are done in Linux lab, the Almighty Preventer of Progress. And furthermore, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the compiler to run. Part of this is Linux-related. Of course, the instructions are horribly written, scattered in a bunch of different places, and hard to find. Even the little in-class demo MP contradicted itself on multiple occasions. Fortunately, I know a few people who have taken the class and they can help me figure it out, assuming nothing has changed over the past few years. After that, I should be on my way. The demo exercise was something I could have done in 10 minutes using Matlab on a Windows system, but whatever.
History discussion was nothing special- basically we "got to know each other" and read through the syllabus out loud as a class. Right. I'm assuming this will pick up eventually. And the "big" assignments of the semester are papers in the 900-1200 word range. Just for reference, this entry is 320 words.
Senior design appears to be breaking my way so far. This semester we have organized weekly tasks to complete, and lo and behold, I finished most of what's due next week last semester. Some touch-up work will be required, but I'm not anticipating any trouble there. Incidentally, I'll also be needing to learn a new CAD program at some point.
So, having survived a week, everything looks very feasible, assuming I can get this blasted Linux thing figured out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home