Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Death to the Bureaucracy

Good news: I managed to get into the class I couldn't get into next semester. Apparently the magic words are "specifically required to graduate."

Bad news: the music history course this semester, focusing on African music, apparently doesn't count for nonwestern gened credit, at least as far as the College of Fine and Applied Arts is concerned. This has been an ongoing battle all semester. It isn't on the campus list, so I had to get it approved as an exception. I ran it by the engineering department in fall and they approved it, no sweat, based on the syllabus. However, just because it counts for the engineering degree apparently doesn't mean it counts for the music degree, so I started the approval petition process with FAA. This involves a letter from the professor, a letter from me, and a form. So with everything else going on, it took forever. And they denied it for some reason. Because they're bureaucrats that are married to their lists, and their sole purpose in life is to inhibit progress. My advisers are pissed, so there might be an appeal process of some sort.

Failing that, I have to cram some piss-ant easy course into next semester to meet the requirement. This would put me up to an unprecedented 26 credit hours, although there's some independent study in there, and we might have to fudge the math since I'm not sure the engineering department is going to approve 26 hours. I've already signed up for one that meets the schedule, just in case.

Good news: Turns out that the problem with this semester was I was lacking motivation. I'm now sufficiently mad to actually pull this thing off, out of sheer spite. This shall be known as Operation: Fangorious Steamroller, as in "if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road." We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home