All The News That's Fit to Ignore
Right. Champaign County is still holding my violin hostage. It's looking like I'll get it back sometime around the church council retreat at this point. I guess it's still worthwhile as long as they really hang this guy out to dry over it.
The internship is up and running. They've actually got me crunching numbers this year. There's still a lot of graph making and formatting, which gets repetitive, but at least the theory behind it is based on classes I've taken recently. Also, they've got me using Matlab. Apparently I'm now the Matlab expert in the group. And whenever I have trouble we track down the next youngest guy in the area, as it wasn't invented when the veterans went to school. So I'm making myself useful. Also, they're taking me out for flight testing this week. From what I've seen, it's as uncertain and hastily thrown together as DBF testing (well, maybe not quite that bad), only the plane's bigger than I am, it's in Maryland, and we're not actually testing the plane itself.
Then there's church music.... Based on one viewing of the schedule, I have a service of some sort every weekend this summer, which was the goal. Except with the violin still AWOL I'm out for the orchestra stuff for awhile, and that leaves a few open weekends. Tonight was Saturday Evening Service XXIII; XXII was two weeks ago. Both were the non-communion setting carried over from before the hymnal revision, and both used the same closing hymn, although I think it was set to different words this week, so I'll let it slide this time. Last week was my first round of accompanying the Chinese Ministry service. Familiar hymns, sung not in English. They had little kids playing string instruments for the offertory and communion, so I didn't have to worry about that. And it's so informal immediately before and afterwards that a prelude and postlude aren't strictly necessary, but I have some ready anyway. I get to do a few more of those. One month to Organ Service III.
The internship is up and running. They've actually got me crunching numbers this year. There's still a lot of graph making and formatting, which gets repetitive, but at least the theory behind it is based on classes I've taken recently. Also, they've got me using Matlab. Apparently I'm now the Matlab expert in the group. And whenever I have trouble we track down the next youngest guy in the area, as it wasn't invented when the veterans went to school. So I'm making myself useful. Also, they're taking me out for flight testing this week. From what I've seen, it's as uncertain and hastily thrown together as DBF testing (well, maybe not quite that bad), only the plane's bigger than I am, it's in Maryland, and we're not actually testing the plane itself.
Then there's church music.... Based on one viewing of the schedule, I have a service of some sort every weekend this summer, which was the goal. Except with the violin still AWOL I'm out for the orchestra stuff for awhile, and that leaves a few open weekends. Tonight was Saturday Evening Service XXIII; XXII was two weeks ago. Both were the non-communion setting carried over from before the hymnal revision, and both used the same closing hymn, although I think it was set to different words this week, so I'll let it slide this time. Last week was my first round of accompanying the Chinese Ministry service. Familiar hymns, sung not in English. They had little kids playing string instruments for the offertory and communion, so I didn't have to worry about that. And it's so informal immediately before and afterwards that a prelude and postlude aren't strictly necessary, but I have some ready anyway. I get to do a few more of those. One month to Organ Service III.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home