Sunday Service Set II and the "Preparation" for School
OS II went quite well. Our choir director did, in fact, have a soloist to accompany for a psalmody, so he was up there, but not looking over my shoulder, for all of first service and part of the second. And he and the soloist were both audible over the organ, which gave me something to accompany and made it easier to ignore the congregation. He chanted quite a bit slower than I was expecting and apparently, quite a bit slower than the congregation was expecting. I'm pretty sure they were ahead of us halfway through the Te Deum, but you gotta start somewhere. Chant accompaniment will be addressed during this semester's lessons, since this isn't the last time I'll have to deal with it.
One more Saturday service this week... I'm playing the other postlude arrangement I couldn't quite pull together in time two months ago. Also, I'm working on communion filler on The Ash Grove, which is the closing hymn for the day. It's a fairly simple theme and variations concept and I should have finished days ago, except I now apparently compose in 10 minute spurts separated by hours of playing minesweeper. Yeesh. Let's get it out of my system before next week...
Which is when school starts. Travel day Sunday, set-up Monday and Tuesday, and off we go on Wednesday. It promises to be an extremely bizarre semester between transition at church, a potential leadership role in DBF, and general senior-dom... but not, thanks to the 5 year plan. I should be shifting back towards music since I have most of the engineering requirements completed, which reminds me... I've still got an audition to nail together, and my composition piece still needs finishing... see above.
One more Saturday service this week... I'm playing the other postlude arrangement I couldn't quite pull together in time two months ago. Also, I'm working on communion filler on The Ash Grove, which is the closing hymn for the day. It's a fairly simple theme and variations concept and I should have finished days ago, except I now apparently compose in 10 minute spurts separated by hours of playing minesweeper. Yeesh. Let's get it out of my system before next week...
Which is when school starts. Travel day Sunday, set-up Monday and Tuesday, and off we go on Wednesday. It promises to be an extremely bizarre semester between transition at church, a potential leadership role in DBF, and general senior-dom... but not, thanks to the 5 year plan. I should be shifting back towards music since I have most of the engineering requirements completed, which reminds me... I've still got an audition to nail together, and my composition piece still needs finishing... see above.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home