Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

St. Louis: Actually, Yes, I Was Going to Play That. But That's Okay.

Ah, home.

First contact with Boeing was today. This came in the form of a one hour "processing session" in which I signed papers stating (in a nutshell) that I'm not some foreign national trying to bring down the company. We're not even into the phase about how stuff is classified yet. But that's okay. Orientation continues on Friday and I should be getting into the meat of it by Monday. But that part will be classified.

Church is wasting no time in getting started. I get to play my first piano service on Saturday, in which I'll be replaying a bunch of stuff rather than attempting to learn new music. For the most part. One of the inconveniences of the internship is it really takes a whack out of practice time. Last year, I could put these things together during my hours of free time during the day when no one was home. This year, that is not the case, as became apparent today. My original plan for the postlude was a piano reduction of the ever-popular Easter medley I've been using at contemporary services for the past two years. So I was getting that together, and of course, Mom walks through and mentions off hand that it sounds like a German oom-pah bar waltz or something like that and probably isn't suitable for church. Never mind that it's gone over fine at school. Twice. That little bit of doubt is all I need to switch pieces. So, just for that, they get to listen to me attempt to nail together the three-voice Ricercare for Bach's Musical Offering in three days (as opposed to the six-voice one, which is rediculously hard). Because in a Lutheran church, you can never go wrong with Bach. And that's why I don't like having people listen to me practice. I miss the itty bitty little rooms they have at school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home