Sunday Service Set III and the Ill-Advised Postlude
The titles to these things are starting to read like the Harry Potter series, which is also of considerable interest days with the 5th movie and the 7th book coming out in the not-too-distant future. Anyway...
The postlude in question was none other than the Bach Trio Sonata of the past semester. The 2nd movement was well in order when school let out, and it's taken since then to get the 3rd movement up to speed. Add a somewhat abridged version of a Mendelssohn piano trio movement that I mashed into an organ part as an offertory and a prelude on one of the hymns that the director of music dug up last week, and that was the service music. There were six hymns- the usual three, and then they swapped the others in for liturgy parts, including "Lift High the Cross," which is fraught with peril. All went quite well. I'm really getting better at ignoring the congregation.
Work also continues. I'm currently in the middle of an Ahab-esque Matlab project. Basically, all it does is extract data from the storage files and rearrange it into the spreadsheet format they use to make graphs. But there's quite a bit of sorting involved, all of which gets quite long and involves vector indexing, complex data structures, and other bric-a-brac. The work group is, of course, utterly amazed by all of this. One of these days I'll have to explain how it works.
Of particular interest was the trip to Maryland about a month ago. Except the Navy in its infinite efficiency never actually got around to flying anything, so we basically wound up sitting in the control room for two days. I also got to see some stuff on the base- all the shiny planes and test bombs and so forth. That in itself was worth the trip, although I'm not sure that would work the second time around. The group says roughly half the weeks they're there nothing gets done. We get paid either way.
So we reach the halfway point of the last summer break ever, not that there's much of a break to it. Which is just as well, I guess. Might as well get used to it.
The postlude in question was none other than the Bach Trio Sonata of the past semester. The 2nd movement was well in order when school let out, and it's taken since then to get the 3rd movement up to speed. Add a somewhat abridged version of a Mendelssohn piano trio movement that I mashed into an organ part as an offertory and a prelude on one of the hymns that the director of music dug up last week, and that was the service music. There were six hymns- the usual three, and then they swapped the others in for liturgy parts, including "Lift High the Cross," which is fraught with peril. All went quite well. I'm really getting better at ignoring the congregation.
Work also continues. I'm currently in the middle of an Ahab-esque Matlab project. Basically, all it does is extract data from the storage files and rearrange it into the spreadsheet format they use to make graphs. But there's quite a bit of sorting involved, all of which gets quite long and involves vector indexing, complex data structures, and other bric-a-brac. The work group is, of course, utterly amazed by all of this. One of these days I'll have to explain how it works.
Of particular interest was the trip to Maryland about a month ago. Except the Navy in its infinite efficiency never actually got around to flying anything, so we basically wound up sitting in the control room for two days. I also got to see some stuff on the base- all the shiny planes and test bombs and so forth. That in itself was worth the trip, although I'm not sure that would work the second time around. The group says roughly half the weeks they're there nothing gets done. We get paid either way.
So we reach the halfway point of the last summer break ever, not that there's much of a break to it. Which is just as well, I guess. Might as well get used to it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home