Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Microwave on HI for 4 Minutes, Rotate a Quarter Turn, Stir Potatoes, and Embrace Thy Future

Work continues. The notion of the "summer vacation" is quaint and outdated at this point.

Last night, my parents went out to celebrate their anniversary. For dinner, they left the ever-delicious chicken/corn/mashed potatoes microwaveable dinner. Now, I've always preferred the chicken, and for some reason, it always comes with corn and mashed potatoes, regardless of which brand we get. Why that is is not within the scope of this post. Rather, considering that microwaveable dinners are designed primarly for men who have lived alone for many years, they're remarkably hard to prepare. Consider the instructions on the meal in question, and my experiences trying to follow them:
1. Remove plastic cover from chicken and potatoes (implicitly assumed: not the corn). Ooo-kay... that's a little complicated, but that's what scissors are for.
2. Microwave on HI for 4 minutes. Check.
3. Stir potatoes. Potatoes are still frozen solid at this point. Recommend poking at them and breaking them into smaller pieces.
4. Microwave an additional 2 1/2-3 1/2 minutes. Not sure that's gonna do it. Go with the full 3 1/2 to be safe.
5. Caution: food will be hot. Actually, the potatoes are only room temperature (but no longer frozen!). Better go another minute just to be safe.
6. Let stand 1 minute. Screw that! I'm hungry!
And there you have it. The potatoes were adequately done (first time in years I've gotten that to work), and the chicken and corn were a bit over-done. Much work remains in the area of synchronized cooking times. And again the spectre of perpetual bachelordom looms over me. Maybe I'll eat out every night. Note to self: make sure there's a bar or other non-fast food eating establishment within walking distance of future permanant residence.

Internship work continues as well. I'm into actual work now. I've got a few spreadsheets to maintain, a few more to create, a big honkin' diagram of the input/output linkage of the systems engineering department to make, a list of people to call and harass, and a list of deadlines to harass them about. Fun, fun. I've sat in on a few meetings and been to the leadership center (massive castle-like place where they send program manager-types for training programs; good food). All of this is, of course, proprietary so I won't go into details. But I got paid today, and that above all else makes it all worthwhile. Considering I now make in a week what I made in a month of typical weeks at Dierbergs.

And there's a service to play Saturday and as always, I'm behind on the arranging and practicing for that. Back to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home