Evin-kay Uckshold-hay, The Ate-gray

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity. Until they come up with Google: Piglatin, I'm good.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Engineer, composer, church organist, pianist, violinist (in that order), fighter of stupidity, witness to insanity

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Restart: Random Thoughts on a Rainy Day in March

Work continues. The latest wave of homework (8th salvo, I believe) is going reasonably well, but there's still a lot that needs to get done by tomorrow. Lab reports. Always lab reports. At least there aren't any serious calculations in this one, so it should go pretty quick. Of course, we all remember what happened the last time I said a lab report should go pretty quick.

DBF is in trouble. We've got a plane (more or less) built, but there are a few manufacturing defects, so it may or may not be airworthy. We can't test-fly it due to inclement weather, not to mention our pilot has vanished from the face of the earth. And our propulsion system isn't strong enough. The software we have to simulate those things consistently overestimates performance, and we haven't quite come to terms with that. As of last night, they say they have something that works, but they've said that several times already. And the tennis balls don't quite fit in the plane the way I'd like, just like they haven't fit in a series of progressively larger mock-ups of the plane. Geez. Something just isn't adding up here. 4 weeks to competition.

Organ work continues as well. With the internship and resultant return to St. Louis for the summer, I could possibly have the opportunity to play services on organ at my old church where they like me and I can do no wrong. I'm quietly building repertoire for that possibility. Hopefully, other more thorough preparations will commence as well. Of course, there will always be piano services. That's been well-established.

Word has reached me that my senior prom date is engaged. Of course, no one tells me anything anymore, but there's this wonderful thing called Facebook by which such information can be obtained. Some call it stalking, I call it leveling the playing field. Deal with it. Anyway, I've been insisting for that my love life has been a continuous catastrophe since I was old enough to care, but that isn't entirely accurate. There was senior prom. She asked me no less. And for the event itself and about two weeks leading up to it, everything seemed to be working out. Then we graduated, she left for the summer and went to Kansas, and I went here, and the rest is history. In the grand scheme of things, it was really a bizarre footnote to the aforementioned continuous catastrophe. Anyway, best of luck to them, and I'll continue soldiering on as best I can. Actually, based on current projections, I'm too busy to sustain a meaningful relationship at this point. I've regained academic supremecy, though, and that will have to do for now.

Finally, I've been informed that our campus pastor is retiring. This is a real cause for concern. We've had some attrition on the council recently, and it just seems we aren't as energetic as we used to be. And I'm not sure how high up campus ministry is on the ELCA list of priorities. I'm not sure how well we'll make it through a transition. Of course, I'm so bogged down that I can't do a thing to help beyond my current music projects, so I'll just have to hope for the best. I'll keep an eye on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home