Saturday Evening Service XIII- Epiphany: On Trap Games
First of all, yes I do keep count. And no, the service wasn't about trap games. The post is, though. It's a very unsettling trend whereby one sucks wind in the small battle following victory in the big one. I've done it myself on occasion, in cases like last semester where I nailed the massive electroacoustics project only to blow the next set of engineering homework. And it certainly was a possibility in today's service (prelude, postlude, 3 hymns, reduced liturgy), following last week's (prelude, postlude, 8 hymns, some of which were the liturgy, extended offertory, and extended communion filler, including duet with talented violinist in the congregation who may or may not read this at some point). For more commentary, I refer you to the Illinois basketball team, which sputtered and died today against lowly Iowa after beating Michigan State on Thursday.
Fortunately, I fared better than the basketball team. Mostly at issue was the prelude, composed in great haste and not completely learned. Fortunately, I saw problems coming and simply cut out the most questionably composed/poorly learned part, and what was left was presentable. Discrepencies between what was on the page and what I actually played were somewhat greater than usual. And I was able to find a postlude... on Thursday. One of the fringe benefits of practicing organ at church is I come across all the music the organists leave around. This one is apparently a Puerto Rican Epiphany hymn, which I liked when it was played in years past and which can be played (with some trickery) on piano. And that's the only way I can possibly get away with busting into a tango in the middle of church.
That now being completed, I have abso-friggin'-#$%&@ nothing to do for the next week. Dierbergs has been skimping me on hours, and I don't work again until Friday. Between then and now, I expect that I will hardly ever leave this chair, although there is organ and violin music to be learned. But that's only a small part of a given day. I expect that in retrospect, this week will simply be blotted from my memory. Call it The Void.
Fortunately, I fared better than the basketball team. Mostly at issue was the prelude, composed in great haste and not completely learned. Fortunately, I saw problems coming and simply cut out the most questionably composed/poorly learned part, and what was left was presentable. Discrepencies between what was on the page and what I actually played were somewhat greater than usual. And I was able to find a postlude... on Thursday. One of the fringe benefits of practicing organ at church is I come across all the music the organists leave around. This one is apparently a Puerto Rican Epiphany hymn, which I liked when it was played in years past and which can be played (with some trickery) on piano. And that's the only way I can possibly get away with busting into a tango in the middle of church.
That now being completed, I have abso-friggin'-#$%&@ nothing to do for the next week. Dierbergs has been skimping me on hours, and I don't work again until Friday. Between then and now, I expect that I will hardly ever leave this chair, although there is organ and violin music to be learned. But that's only a small part of a given day. I expect that in retrospect, this week will simply be blotted from my memory. Call it The Void.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home